This is the Foundation’s position statement:
The Colorado Foundation for Universal Health Care promotes a not-for-profit health care financing system at the state and/or national level that pays for comprehensive, high quality, affordable health care services for everyone.
These are principles the Foundation supports in health care reform:
- UNIVERSAL: All Coloradans need health care.
- AFFORDABLE: Everyone contributes, and everyone benefits. There should be no deductibles and co-pays should be modest and waived if they are a barrier to care. The system should be equitable and consistent. No one should go bankrupt getting needed health care.
- ACCOUNTABLE & TRANSPARENT: We need a system that’s accountable to the people, not out-of-state big corporations. The system should have a publicly elected board of directors, accountable for health spending and outcomes. Coloradans should be engaged and informed on operations, evaluations, and revisions of benefits. Finances should be transparent.
- COMPREHENSIVE: Health care benefits should be comprehensive, with an emphasis on health and wellness. Statewide emergency access will be developed. Centers of excellence for high risk and high cost procedures will be nourished.
- INTEGRATED & COORDINATED CARE: Colorado’s system should be based on primary and preventive care. There should be patient centered medical homes, connected with non-profit, integrated health care networks. Primary care providers can best coordinate specialty care.
- CHOICE: Coloradans should be free to choose among primary care providers and integrated health care systems and to change providers as they see fit.
- EFFICIENCY: Billing should be simplified and centralized. Providers need dependable, adequate, and simple reimbursements.
- MARKET BASED: Providers and hospitals will compete for members based on service and quality. Prices for medications and durable medical equipment will be negotiated.
- CONTINUOUS, PORTABLE COVERAGE: Access to health care should be independent of employment. Entrepreneurs with preexisting conditions should be free to start new businesses, secure their health care needs will be met.
- LET BUSINESS FOCUS ON BUSINESS: Businesses need to be able to count on having health care for all their employees—simply and affordably. Administration of health benefits can be eliminated and costs made predictable.
- MALPRACTICE REFORM: Compensation should be timely and fair. Reforms can lessen defensive medicine and cut costs, as well as attract health care professional to Colorado.
- TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCED: The system should support smart cards for each Coloradan to ensure access to medical records, simplify billing, and prevent fraud. Comprehensive electronic medical records can collect data to determine best practices and demonstrate quality service.
- COMPASSIONATE: The needs of vulnerable populations and those with exceptional needs must be ensured.